Thursday, March 25, 2010

Report of Role and Contribution

Working in the red team of the open source management project was an experience that gave knowledge in variety of fields. The task was to develop a new scenario for the open source game the Battle for Wesnoth. We had a rather big group that needed strong organisation to start working and organise the tasks. The roles were divided - I was at first supposed to be one of programmers, which I chose myself. My role changed later on while at the moment our team was ready to program, I lost my laptop (it broke down) and was unable to contact the team.

So my role and contribution was mostly the design part - I was studying the way things work around Wesnoth with graphic files and I also learned the Wesnoth art and art forums, even though our characters were not done according to these guidelines.

I worked on the portraits and some icons as well as cooperated with Jindrich in the design questions while he was working on the maps. My other part of the contribution was in connection to the programmers. We were in skype conversation during the programming and I was searching for information to overcome the problems met and find solutions to the ideas we had. For that I also used browsing default codes and code of some other campaigns.

On the one hand we had complications in getting the work started and organize ourselves, but on the oher hand we finished the work and got different experiences through that. As everyone got more active we managed to divide the tasks so that the community work got better and better. Everyone worked on their piece and the collaboration was successful. So I did get the feeling of the community work as well.

Concerning the tool used - Wesnoth - I must say that I was not too exited about it, while it is a time consuming game and over all I have not been a game fan myself. I cannot bring an example but I guess there could be some alternative tool to get the idea and experience of open source management and community cooperation.

To summarize - I have worked together with the team, experienced the community cooperation and learned from both positive and negative sides of our team work organisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment