Monday, February 1, 2010

The Battle for Westnoth first review

As asked in the Open Source Management course I have started to play The Battle for Westnoth a bit. I have got acquainted to it through the tutorials and also tried out some campaigns. The beginning was rather rough but I guess it is normal for an unexperienced player.

My first impression was not very positive as I am not a great fan of games like that at all. But what I was wrong about, was the way it really works. The idea that you can take as much time to think through your next step as you need was surprising. I thought that time matters. So I discovered that it gives a great challenge to strategical thinking.

The game has a set of characters and settings that form the whole thing and I need some more time to realise the possibilities and complexity of it. I will go on discovering the strategy and the possibilities in the game. After making bigger efforts to playing, I will try out some simple modifications in code and also designing new maps.

Even if not being such a fan of playing games, I am excited about the outcome of our team work as well as the whole course. The game and the additions or modifications to be done will surely be teaching us the OSM through a very realistic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment